Tuesday 13 August 2019

DFI Day 7: Computational Thinking


Manaiakalani kaupapa and Empowerment:

Writing my reflection for our DFI Day 7 Session has taken longer than usual. This session was all about COMPUTATIONAL THINKING... something that I did not quite understand. I know that we are constantly adapting our thinking and processing to improve outcomes. This is not something new, it just now has a title tagged to it.

Dorothy talked about being EMPOWERED and exposure through technology. She talked about experiences and the passing down of knowledge... about the power of digital to transform how we learn and the opportunities available. That digital is more than just a tool. 


Rangatiratanga was mentioned and how this is enabled using digital technology. Rangatiratanga is self-determination and the right to control your own life. For some whānau, this technology is inaccessible and affordability is a barrier.  When we consciously know that many of our whānau are struggling financially, I cannot help but question why we are asking them to pay $500 for a chromebook when they are struggling to put food on the table?  I have no control if there is an expectation that I MUST buy a chromebook for my child at Year 9. It just doesn't feel right.

I understand that the work force is changing... that we need to prepare our students for the future and "get with the programme". We must remember that as a people it takes a village to raise a child, and that our whānau are empowered by being PART of the change and not the reason for it.

Improving my confidence, capability or workflow as a professional?

We were introduced to a range of tools that can be used in our classroom programmes.  I spent most of my time today creating the coding in the Scratch tool.  There were other tools that we were introduced to but I wanted to get my head around SCRATCH so that I could then implement it in one of my lessons.  

Like everything I need time to finish my SCRATCH presentation and fine tune some of the movements/ instructions so that it flows better from beginning to end. 
I'll add my SCRATCH when I know how to so as a treat... read my blog for our DFI Day 8 post.

What did I learn that could be used with my learners?  

Definitely using SCRATCH in one of my 1IDY lessons about Workplace Safety.

What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow in my personal life?

Rangatiratanga - self determination and having control of our lives. This relates to how I work and ensuring that I get the balance right. That I need to monitor how much time I am on devices, at work and at home. That I must always value face to face interactions with others and get out and be active. That digital technology is part of my day, but not all of it. I am growing in confidence to create and use various digital tools and as my understanding grows, I am able to utilise them with greater purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BOIC TOD: He Waka Eke Noa

 He waka eke noa!  Working together! Today was our first Teacher Only Day here at kura and I was lucky enough to be part of the Professional...